Thursday, July 14, 2011

Failed Attempt At Pin-Curls and a Spaghetti Face

I have been into vintage fashion and housewares for awhile now, but I have never really wanted to take the plunge into actually owning, wearing, or styling anything until recently.  Its probably because I am a mom and more focused on what is going on around my house rather than wondering when the next time I can go to a show and party.  

A looooooooong time ago I was introduced to the pin-curl technique by, none other than, an American Girl Doll named Molly.  Anybody have these growing up?  Her back story summed way up is she's a little girl who grew up in the WWII era America.  I remember doing the pin-curls on my doll and it turning out great.

I was really bored tonight and decided I was going to try to do a hair tutorial and show you guys how awesome I am at doing hair (haha, rrrrrrrrrrright).  So, here are a couple of photos of my attempt.

pincurlspincurls
At this point, you're probably wondering "what's wrong?  They look fine!"  Well, that's what I thought, too.  Just to let you know, I didn't look at any directions before I went ahead and did this. I just used my really good memory and thought back to when I was about 9 and remembered what I did then.  When I was setting the curls in my wet hair, I twisted them before I made the curls to pin with the bobby pins.  This was a big mistake.  

Instead of ending up with nice wavy curls, I ended up looking like this:

pincurls
Yeah, I know.  I'm hot.  Haha.  What a disaster!  And this was after I brushed them all out.  I had curls that were about the width of a dime.  Man, was it horrible.  I was going to take a picture, but I'm embarrassed enough about how I look in this one!  I'm doing this as a reminder of when you do pin-curls.  Before you start twisting your hair, remember this picture.

pincurls
This is an example of how they should turn out when done correctly.  This is Gertie over at Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewing.  If you aren't a follower, you should be!  Its geared more towards experienced seamstresses, but I love it because I like watching all of her projects come together!  She also has a new class on Craftsy.com about how to make the perfect bombshell dress.  I wish I was better at sewing so it would be worth me buying it!

-----------------------------------------------------

The other day, me, Dan and Maggie went out and had lunch at the Carolina Ale House.  Maggie will never eat anything except PB&J's and pasta, so we got her some penna with marinara sauce.  Here's how that turned out!

spaghetti face
Dan took a ton of pictures of her.  It was really cute.  You can also check out her artwork on the place mat.  I'm so proud of our budding little artist.  We put that one on the fridge...  Along with all the sauce stains.