Sunday, June 5, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent by Crunch Betty

I got a lot of questions about this when I posted it on Facebook and in my blog, so I thought I'd share the recipe with you from CrunchBetty.com.  Its really simple, CHEAP (about 2-3 bucks for 96 loads!), and a lot safer than all those other detergents on the shelves at the grocery store.  Also, I cannot tell the difference between the cleaning.  It cleaned just as good, but mine didn't smell like anything.  Just fabric.

First, you need 5 items (EASY!): 
1 C Borax
1 C Washing Soda
2 C grated Ivory Soap (I found that 1 bar equaled 2 cups grated)
20 drops Essential Oil (optional)
Medium sized container

ingredients for homemade laundry detergent

Pour 1 cup of Borax into your container...

borax

Pour 1 cup of washing soda into your container...

washing soda

Grate 1 bar of Ivory Soap...

grated ivory soap

Now mix all of these ingredients and try to get the clumps out.  The Ivory soap sticks a little, but once you mix it with the powder, it will get less clumpy.  Your mix should look like this:

homemade detergent

At this point you can add the 20 drops of essential oil if you want.  I did not, because it was a little bit too girly of a smell for my husband.  The only thing you have to remember if you do add the oil, is to try and mix it in as much as possible.

When you go to do your laundry, pour in 1/8 a cup for a small load, 1/4 for medium, and 1/2 for large.

I bought a 3-pack of Ivory soap, so I went ahead and made the recipe two more times.  It was so easy, I figured why not?  Plus, it gave me so much more!  Like I said, only cost about 2-3 dollars the amount I made (about 96 small loads).  Its worth a shot!!!

Did anyone try the recipe?  How'd it work out for you?