Sunday, May 15, 2011

Finished Project: Redone Coffee Table

Had a scare this weekend where I thought my entire blog got deleted!  I guess Blogger was down or something.  I did lose one post and two pages I made, but I redid them and changed the layout a little bit.  That was so frustrating!  I really hope it doens't happen again!

My husband and I have had this black coffee table ever since we started renting a house together over two years ago.  I had the idea of decorating it, but put it off...  UNTIL NOW!  I went over to a friend's house and saw her decorated table with magazine clippings and Modge Podge and got inspired.   I HAD to finish it this weekend.  And I did.  I am so happy that I did it and got it over with before we move and have a new baby.  That was one reason I always put it off.

I did not take a picture of the table before I got started.  I was too excited and just wanted to start putting on pictures.  But it is just a normal plain black table that dips down about 2 inches.  I started the project by cutting out pictures from a photography book called "Skins" by Gavin Watson.  I glued them to the table with a regular glue stick. 

skinhead table

These pictures are kind of hard to see.  But there is nothing on top of the pictures.  You can tell because they are matte.  Here's some close-ups of the table:

skinhead table

skinhead table

skinhead table

My husband was nice enough to go to Micheal's and get this pour on clear coat stuff for me.  You mix the two bottles of liquid together, pour it on, spread it out leveled, and let it dry.  It has been 12 hours now, but its still a little sticky.  It is definitely working, though!  It cost around $24 for a kit that will cover 4 square feet. 

high gloss finish

When you're all done you'll have a layer of clear coat that is waterproof!  My coffee table is going to look so much cleaner, too!  All that dog hair will be invisible!  I'm a little happy about that.  Every week I had to vacuum the table.  My husband walked in on me and had this weird look on his face the first time he saw me doing it.  Haha.  Here's the finished product!

skinhead table

The only bad thing about mine is I think we needed one more layer.  I'm pretty sure we're going to do it one more time.  Some of the pictures came up a little.  Probably because I used a regular glue stick instead of better glue.  So use better glue than I did!  You can see some of the edges that the pour on stuff went underneath. 

skinhead table

One more coat will do the trick, though!  It looks really nice when its done.  Again, kind of hard to see in my pictures.  Oh well.  Hopefully it will give you some ideas of your own!