Thursday, August 25, 2011

Cicada Invasion

I have lived in North Carolina most of my life.  At night you can here cicadas where ever you live in the state, but you rarely see them alive.  I have only ever seen their molted exoskeletons stuck to trees or fences or dead carcuses on the ground.  For some reason this area we live in has then EVERYWHERE.  I see 2 or 3 new exoskeletons right outside our house every day.  Then, yesterday afternoon when I was bringing in my laundry, a spotted a cicada sitting on the fence.
cicada
cicada
They are so adorable!  I don't know what it is.  Maybe cause they're so ugly they're cute.  I was so excited about seeing alive one, but my husband did not share the same enthusiasm. He had never seen a live one either!  I don't know why he was freaking out like I was!
Later in the night we went outside to sit on our deck and talk and sitting on my deck shelf was ANOTHER live cicada!
cicada
cicada
cicada
Could not believe I saw two in one day.  It was awesome.  Its crazy.  Their heads look like praying mantis heads.
I was curious if they had any stuff on Etsy that dealt with them, and I now may have to get this...
cicada ring
Its made by sandrandan and its $20.00 in her store!


Just a couple of more days and my pregnancy will be over!  A couple of more days and the hurricane will be here also.  Sigh.  Hopefully not the same day.  Everyone be safe if you're on the East Coast!