Friday, December 9, 2011

Wind Farms are Awesome

A couple of months ago my husband and I drove up to Minnesota to visit some of his family.  On the way, we passed through Illinois.  I didn't think much of the place, especially since we drove through at night and couldn't see anything.  It seemed like it was nothing but a bunch of farms and flat lands until I started seeing flashing red lights in the night.  And they were everywhere.  As we drove closer the lights surrounded us on all sides.  It was crazy!  I stared at the little lights and each time they flashed I saw huge blades spinning around.  Finally, we figured out it was a huge wind farm!  I don't know why I was so excited!  I had never seen one before and for some reason they were so fascinating to me.  On the drive back home, we drove through at night again, so I didn't get to see it during the day at all.  I was crushed.  We drove up to Minnesota again to find a house and drove through during the night again!  I couldn't believe my luck! 


Last week we drove up in separate vehicles and I remembered my wind farm.  I saw a lone windmill and started to freak out in my car (I literally was freaking out, making all kinds of noises and sending texts to my husband)!  Soon I started seeing them everywhere on the left side.  We had chose a different route to drive so we didn't drive straight through it, but I still got to see a lot.
  
I don't know why I am so amazed by them.  There is something really pretty about them.  I'm crazy, I know.  I tried taking a couple of pictures (and by a couple I mean 64) and only a few came out.  So, here are the two best shots I got of part of my wind farm!


wind farm bloomington, illinois
wind farm bloomington, illinois

Sigh.  I really want to go back and take more pictures of it.  But I know the only way that will happen is if we drive back to North Carolina.  Ten hours is a little far for me to drive just to get some pictures...  although, I did see a lot of antique signs along the way.

wind farm bloomington, illinois

This is a photo of the actual wind farm that someone else took.  Why are they so beautiful to me?  Please tell me someone else shares my insane admiration for these things!


Does anyone else have any crazy things that they think are really pretty and can't explain why?