Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Crochet Addiction

granny squares
I guess the first step is to admit you have a problem, so here goes.  I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to crochet.  The last couple of days I have missed posts, and it was because I was using all my free time to work on this new craft.  I LOVE IT!  I somehow found Dana's blog, CraftyMinx, awhile ago because of her Crochet School.  If you have ever thought about learning crochet, you should seriously check out her course.  I cannot believe its free!  She is very good at explaining things, and also has video accompanied with each one of her lessons.  Sometimes more.  The videos are also very slow paced so if you're a beginner, you're actually able to follow.
crocheting in the round
crocheting a circle
You make a couple of things through the class, too.  Its not all just learning stitches, which is really nice!  Its cool to see how far you come after just doing a couple of lessons.  If you follow the course you will make a stitch swatch, granny squares, and circle.  Once you get to the pattern reading portion you can choose to make her wrist warmers or pick a pattern yourself.  I chose to make a hat from a pattern I found on Ravelry.  If I hadn't of had Dana's instruction, there was no way I could have done it so well.  My seaming was a little off, but other than that it turned out great!
crochet smaple swatch
lounging in jake ryan from sixteen candles socks
I just wanted to throw in this picture of these socks I have had for years.  Awhile ago, I used to be obsessed with a store called Delias.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.  Well, they used to have a wall of socks at the store, and I picked up these (if you don't know who this is its Jake Ryan from Sixteen Candles!) along with some John Bender, Farmer Fred, and Long Duck Dong socks.  Really wish they still made them!
crocheted circle
crocheted hat
I am really proud of these projects I have done in the past couple of days.  A couple of them don't really make anything I can wear or show off, but its nice to know that I did it!  I joined Ravelry like Dana said, so I'm already looking for something else to make.  I would love to make an easy afghan since its so cold where we're living.  Its so nice to curl up with a blanket on the couch when its snowing outside.  It would be greater if I actually made it!


Are there any other crocheters out there?  Or any other addicts of craft want to share your addiction?